Monday, November 17, 2014

And Sophie Takes Over... (NaNoWriMo November 17th)

Ever since yesterday morning, I've not written about Sheriff Art Whiddick, nor about Indigo's Chief of Police Ryan Ballinson and his niece Bebe. Not a word about the Indian token/medallion (the MacGuffin) has passed my fingertips.

For two days, I've been telling the story of Sophie (whose parents think her name is Doris) and her encounter with evil fairies. I thought the diversion might provide me with a thousand words or so, and also banish the foreign tale from my brain so I could get on with telling the story of Indigo and the blizzard. Instead it turned into a flood, adding more than 5000 words to my novel in two days, 3000 just today.

Although the end is in sight, the tale-within-a-tale might finally occupy most of two chapters. Just to tell a fairy tale to a fictional group of children and their parents in a fictional library.

In the middle of the night last night, I woke out of a sound sleep knowing how the fairy tale will matter to the citizens of Indigo. I saw how telling it would help the ancient hunter who wears the guise of a woman. And I knew how her story-telling hubris would eventually bring about her defeat at the hands of the sheriff.

Some of this will involve reworking the initial chapters. But that's a task for December! 

In the meantime, the story rolls on...

Total: 32,385 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment