Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Building Book

One of the unexpected side-benefits of being a plotter instead of a pantser this year is that having a road map for the story tells me where the chapter breaks will arrive, and when to ring in the crucial scenes that I will have to flesh out as I write. 

I can jump ahead to to the "hinge" or "mirror scene" (as advised in one of my preparation reads, James Scott Bell's Write Your Novel from the Middle), and know who can appear in the scene, and what their current relationship and stance is to Roger at that point in the story.

I could even write the climax of the story before I have Roger embroiled in his conflicts and minor resolutions. But I probably won't. Pantser habits die hard, and I'm enjoying the building of this book from the front onward. 

As you can see from the illustration, I'm back writing in my favorite non-home venue, Chick-fil-A. My calendar cards are good for a milkshake each this month, and I plan to hold out until the seasonal Chocolate-Chip Peppermint shakes appear. It could be a dangerous strategy: if they haven't shown up by the end of the month, I will have to pig out in the final days of NaNoWriMo on Double-Chocolate Shakes instead. (They are on the secret menu.)


Word Count: 1834 Day 4 and 9838 Total

No comments:

Post a Comment