Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Thieving Words (Carrot Ranch Flash Fiction Challenge)

Barely back from a research trip into the desert, I had a doggerel bit of prose nagging me all the way home. Fortunately, a little warp-age was all I needed to fit it into this week's Carrot Ranch Flash Fiction Challenge:

October 7, 2015 prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less) write a story about a thief or a theft. Consider motives and repercussions. Is the act a matter of perception? Is it a daring maneuver or a desperate bid for survival? Think about different instances of stealing.

The picture, by the way, is my favorite amongst the hundreds of clowns in the lobby of the Clown Motel in Tonopah, Nevada, where we stayed one night during our trip. This required a 200-mile diversion from our path to the Berlin Ichthyosaur Park, but it was definitely worth it!

Not only was the scenery (in the lobby and outside the hotel gazing over the Old Tonopah Cemetery next door) worth a visit, but the bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in, in a motel! It definitely beat the beds at the Nevada campground cabins.
__________________________


Thieving Words

Wanting love, I steal your heart.
Loving life, I steal your time.
Tiptoe-quiet, I steal inside:
Silent movement is no crime.

I take the spotlight on the stage.
Gesturing, I steal the show.
Time is a thief and so am I:
I steal away, and thus I go.

I take the cake, and eat it too.
Needing some help, I take advice.
Shopping, I do a double-take:
Daylight robbery, that price!

Passing a window, I steal a peek,
And stolen kisses meet my eyes.
I take a risk, I take a shot:
My photo'd kiss, it took first prize!

No comments:

Post a Comment