Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Once More into the Breach

With the publication of the new edition of The Social Calendar, I return to writing reviews of the books I've read in this last intensely-focused month, as well as continuing to edit Ken Cumming's memoirs: Meant To Be Here.  

First up is a mock-up for the cover. Ken did a long-distance solo bicycle tour over the Sierras and the Rockies at age 67, and it rather typifies his astounding approach to life. So the cover will likely feature his photo next to his bike at the 11,990-foot summit of the highway over Loveland Pass in Colorado. 

Ken will be 70 in November, and he's still riding his bike over hill and dale! (I'm not kidding. He's leading an evening/night ride to the summit of a local hill to view the lunar eclipse for the Santa Rosa Bicycle Club next month.)

This time, I'll attempt to apply Hofstadter's Law in my planning for the time required to finish the book, despite the philosophy it expresses:

Douglas Hofstadter:  It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. 

Recalling my over-optimism with the minutiae of post-writing, pre-publication production for The Social Calendarit was supposed to take 3 days, not 3 weeks!I don't believe the memoir will be finished in time for the start of NaNoWriMo this year. Still, If I do finish before November 1st, it will likely be delayed as we wait for the receipt of permissions to use various images that Ken did not create.

So look for it on Amazon early next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment